We Tried the Dyson Airstrait on Four Types of Hair Review

dyson hair straightener airstrait

While we were unimpressed on test by its price and weight, we do love that these tongs are cordless and feature incredible precision engineering that offers great results and stellar hair protection. While the results aren't pin-straight for me, I love the natural feel to my straightened hair when I've used the airstrait. It'd be remiss of me to not mention that although the Airstrait is a four-star product for me, that's largely down to my hair type. I can't speak for how it would work for coily or curly hair, for example.

Dyson’s Airstrait Flat Iron Dries & Straightens Your Hair Without Heat: Here’s Where You Can Buy It & How Much It Costs

My Best Buy Plus and Total members save $120 off new Corrale hair straighteners. The Airstrait is an expensive piece of equipment, and it doesn't offer a huge amount more than a hairdryer, all things considered. It does also feel slightly gimmicky, which is always a problem when a product is one of the first in a new category. However, the benefits it does bring, and the engineering that has gone in to it, will likely make it a popular choice among many people, me included. And now I know about the benefits of Dry mode, I've missed it every time I've needed to style my day-two hair since.

Expand news menu

dyson hair straightener airstrait

I highly recommend tapping through all the menus first, so you're familiar with each one. “I did, however, have flyaways, and my hair wasn’t as shiny as it would be if I hit it with a traditional flatiron — though it was a bit shinier than after an at-home round-brush blowout. For a more finished look, I smoothed those flyaways with a few sweeps of the R+Co Dart Pomade Stick and massaged a few drops of Gisou Honey Infused Hair Oil along the lengths of my hair for more shine. For maximum smoothness and minimal flyways, I found the trick is to move slowly.

Dyson Airstrait review: Specs

The idea of cutting down drying and styling time with the Dyson Airstrait almost sounded too good to be true. My hair hates me for the double heat, so I’m always looking for a way to reduce my high-temperature styling time. I was hoping to find it with the latest Dyson hair innovation, a wet-to-dry straightening tool called the Airstrait, which, the brand says, gets the job done without using hot plates.

Dyson’s brand new hair tool is already $100 off on Amazon for Black Friday - NJ.com

Dyson’s brand new hair tool is already $100 off on Amazon for Black Friday.

Posted: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 08:00:00 GMT [source]

Still, it doesn't quite manage to step out of the Airwrap's looming shadow. This innovative hair tool is designed to take your hair from wet to dry, straight, and fabulous without hot plates or heat damage. Instead, the Dyson Airstrait uses intelligent heat control technology to regulate the temperature and protect your hair from damage. In Wet mode, which, as the name suggests is used to take your hair from wet to dry, you can choose from one of three temperature settings – 175F/ 80C, 230F/110C and 285F/140C.

dyson hair straightener airstrait

While the Dyson Airwrap styler can be hard to find, there are plenty of great alternatives that can give you similar results. CBS Essentials is created independently of the CBS News editorial staff. We may receive commissions from some links to products on this page. Good Housekeeping participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. One neat touch is the ‘idle mode’ which sends the Airstrait to sleep when you put it down, and wakes it up as soon as you pick it up again.

I was slightly relieved to see that it's more of a hair dryer-straightener combo. Instead of squeezing your wet hair between hot plates, it uses airflow to dry and straighten your hair. My mix of wavy, curly, and coarse hair requires as much heat as possible to avoid looking frizzy and puffy. But as with the company's previous hair tools, I should've known. After only two attempts, I was ready to throw my blow dryer and flat iron in the trash.

I tried the Dyson Airstrait on my curly hair and the results were miraculous - CNN Underscored

I tried the Dyson Airstrait on my curly hair and the results were miraculous.

Posted: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 07:00:00 GMT [source]

Come morning, the ends were a little scruffy from sleep but the soft, silky feel remained. It took mere seconds to refresh the original look with the Airstrait’s dry mode. This mode, by the way, doesn’t have the same ‘zero damage’ claim as the wet mode, but considering how quickly it worked, I think it has to count as ‘damage limitation’ at least.

Is it worth buying the Airstrait?

As someone with sensitive skin, I'm always left with a lot of redness after blow-drying my hair. Regardless of how high the heat setting is, I don't experience irritation with the Airstrait. The diffusers are removable, making it easy to clean away any product, like a heat protectant, that may build up over time. In addition to watching your hair dry, you'll also hear the Airstrait working. With the ability to sense when the hair is clamped within the device, it automatically increases airflow. Once your hair is out, it immediately decreases it, like a Dyson vacuum that increases suction when it senses dirt or switches floor type.

When I tested on my partner's curlier Asian hair, I struggled to get it fully straight and noticed the results were slightly less shiny. If the styled hair got wet, damp, or encountered humidity, it became loosely curled again. This mirrors many customer experiences with curly, coily and frizzy hair – the Airstrait seems to work well, but doesn't offer the staying power of traditional hot plates. When wet styling, I used the Airstrait with its arms together to quickly dry my roots, then dried my hair in sections.

It also has intelligent heat control to regulate airflow temperature 30 times per second, so it'll never exceed the temp you set. “After I finished styling my entire head — which took about 20 minutes — my hair was straight and extra-soft. And my ends didn’t feel as thirsty as they do after styling with other wet-to-dry tools.

I used the Dyson Airstrait every time I dried my hair for three weeks, as well as its dry mode to touch up any unruly curls that set in overnight. I tested all of its modes and temperatures to gauge their effectiveness, as well as attempting different ways of using the Airstrait to style my hair. Like most of Dyson's haircare products (barring the Corrale straighteners), the Dyson Airstrait isn't designed to be a travel companion. When I tried using them in Europe with my UK plug and an adapter, they flat-out refused to power up. However, when used on curlier or coily hair, it's harder to achieve the same results you can with conventional straighteners.

At Dyson.com, the Corrale straightener is $100 off, and all hair tool purchases come with a complimentary gift worth $40. At Dyson’s website, save an extra $100 off when you bundle the Airstrait with the Corrale (which is already $100 off) or the Supersonic. You’ll also get the additional free gifts valued at up to $100, including a presentation case and more. The Dyson Airwrap styler is designed to help you dry and style your hair with minimal heat. It has grown popular thanks to its ease of use, versatile styling options and ability to style hair while minimizing heat damage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mobile Mechanic Colorado Springs Ideas

Famous Arizona Child Protective Services 2023

FAMA DEME AFRICAN HAIR BRAIDING